Monday, September 30, 2013

Action Research: Course 3 Check Up

My action research project is focusing on how a school-wide after school dismissal system can reduce stress levels of students, teachers, and school administrators. I began my action research project in August, a few weeks before school began. I worked with my principal, and a fellow co worker to create a system that would dismiss the 900 students in my school safely, in a matter of 7 minutes. Through many hours of planning, discussing, and revising; we developed a new system that achieved our goal. I met with several teachers across the grade levels at my school to gather input, and presented the new system to the entire faculty during staff development week.  We began the new system the first day of school, and though it was rocky in the first few weeks, it has proven to be an effective system in the more recent weeks. I have conducted one survey to address teacher concerns about the previous system (or lack there of) and will soon administer the second survey to see how teachers and administrators feel about the system. Upon seeing the concerns and needs of this survey, we will revisit the process and make necessary changes. This semester, I will begin my research and find some professional literature on the topic of dismissal systems, and how end of the day procedures relate to the next morning. To complete this project I still need to conduct literary research, survey the faculty at specific checkpoints, and review data to reflect on any changes. Though I still have a long way to go in this action research project, I feel confident and proud of what has been accomplished up to this point in the process.

12 Documented hours up to this point.

1 comment:

  1. Our school developed a after school system last year. It has reduced the amount of stress be several levels! I am sure you'll be pleased with the results! :-D

    ReplyDelete